Date : May 23, 2018
24hours / 7days a week
Everything in the earth and the heavens belongs to Allah (SWT). Our lives, our possessions and our families are Allah’s gifts to us. Death is the definite event that occurs in everybody’s life. Death is inevitable and unpredictable. Nobody knows when death will come to him or her.
Masjid Al-Wali provides assistance in funeral services. Here we provide you guidance and information for peacefully completing the burial of your deceased loved one. One phone call does it all, Masjid will ensure the family has time to grieve and not worry about the funeral arrangements.
Whom To Inform
A. Police / 911
Call 911 immediately upon learning that your loved one has deceased
- If the death is unexpected
- If the death occurred in an accident
- If you suspect foul play
If any of the above apply to the death of your loved one, the death will be investigated by a Medical Examiner. The Medical Examiner will release the body after the investigation has been completed for funeral preparations.
B. Hospice Care Provider (If deceased at home)
If your loved one was under Home Hospice, call the Hospice Care Provider. They will have to officially pronounce the death for funeral preparations
C. Masjid Al-Wali (If deceased at home or hospital)
- Call Masjid Al-Wali upon learning that your loved one has deceased at (908) 444-0595 Ext 2. Masjid will assist in:
- Ensuring the entire process is conducted per the Sunnah
- Ensuring the family has time to grieve and not worry about the Janazh arrangements
- Hiring a Funeral Home
- Arranging Ghusl, Kafan, Salat-Al-Janazah and Tadfeen
- Purchasing a Grave (If you do not have one)
- Coordinating with the cemetery for opening and closing of the grave
- Assign ONE member of your family as a “Point Of Contact” to send and receive communication from the Masjid, Medical Examiner’s Office, Funeral Home, Cemetery, etc.
Death Bed To Grave
Several services are needed to take the body from the deathbed to the grave:
A. Obtaining A “Work Death Certificate”
- If the death took place in a hospital, the hospital will issue a Work Death Certificate (This is different from the Death Certificate issued by the township)
- If the death took place at home, and the deceased was under Home Hospice Care, the Hospice Service Provider has to officially Pronounce the death
- If the death took place at home, contact your family doctor to obtain a Death Certificate
- Services consist of getting the body released from the home or hospital
- Transporting the body from the place of death to Masjid Preparation Room
- Transporting the body from the Masjid Preparation Room to the Cemetery
- Installing a temporary Grave Sign
- Applying for “Funeral Assistance” from the State if the deceased is Medicaid Eligible (Conditions Apply For Eligibility)
- Applying for Death Certificate from Township
- Where the body is washed, shrouded and placed in a casket for burial
- Offering Salat-Al-Janazah (Funeral Prayer).
- Masjid Al-Wali has a Janazah Preparation Room on the premises at 10 Olsen Ave, Edison, NJ 08820. This facility includes cold storage to hold the deceased overnight if the death occurs in such hours that a funeral for the same day is not possible.
- Where the grave-site is located, grave opening closing services are provided, and the deceased is laid to rest.
Immediately After Death
Soon after the death the body becomes cold and loses its flexibility. Therefore, you need to take a few steps to position the body correctly for burial.
- Turn the face towards the right.
- Place hands (laid out straight) on the sides.
- Close the mouth. If necessary, tie a piece of cloth around the chin and head to keep the mouth closed.
- Keep the feet together. If necessary, tie the two big toes together with a string.
- Continue making Dua for the Maghfirah of the deceased.
A. Home/Hospital to the Preparation Room
The Funeral Director gets the body released to him and transports the deceased to the Masjid Preparation Room. He is the custodian and responsible for transportation.
The body is prepared for burial this consists of washing the body, enshrouding in “kafan”, and placing the body in the casket. The Funeral Director transports the body from the Preparation Room to the Cemetery.
It is highly recommended that close relatives of the deceased take part/assist in washing the body. Masjid Al-Wali and Funeral Director will be there to guide (If needed). But if that is not possible, then Masjid Al-Wali and Funeral Director will arrange for the washing of the body.
It is highly recommended that close relatives of the deceased take part/assist in shrouding the body. Masjid Al-Wali and Funeral Director will be there to guide (If needed). But if that is not possible, then Masjid Al-Wali and Funeral Director will arrange for the shrouding of the body.
Salat al-Janaza, a prayer for the forgiveness of the deceased, will be offered in Masjid Al-Wali generally after a congregational prayer. The family and friends should be invited to participate in the prayer along with other Muslims who attend daily prayers. The Imam will go over the procedure of the prayer.
If you have purchased a plot of grave prior to the death in your family, you can use that for the burial of your deceased loved one.
Please make sure you have all necessary documents ready pertaining to the ownership of the grave.
B. Purchase A Plot For Burial
If you do not own the plot for a grave, you can purchase a plot of from Masjid Al-Wali. The plots available through Masjid Al-Wali will be at:
Marlboro Muslim Memorial
340 Spring Valley Road
Morganville, NJ 07751
Masjid Al-Wali provides Janazah Assistance Free Of Charge. All costs indicated below are for third party services or to cover the Masjid costs incurred by the Masjid.
Masjid Al-Wali does not make a profit from the Janazah Assistance Service.
There are four distinct components of the total cost associated with the final preparation/burial of a deceased. If you cannot afford a part or the complete expense related to the burial, please let the Masjid know, In Sha Allah financial help is available to qualifying families.
- The cost of basic funeral service will be $1400 (If you select the funeral home approved by the Masjid), basic service will include:
- Pick up of the deceased from home or hospital
- Transporting the deceased to the Masjid for washing/shrouding
- Provide all supplies for washing and shrouding
- Provide basic casket
- Transporting the body from the Masjid to the Cemetery for burial
- If the deceased is Medicaid Eligible, the State may pay for the Funeral Home Expenses (Conditions apply). Please ask us for the details.
- The average cost of Death Certificates issued by townships in New Jersey is $10 per copy which is separate from the Funeral Home charges. (Death Certificate charges can vary by city and state, please call to confirm)
- If the death occurs after hours, and the body needs to be stored overnight, only in that case a storage charge of $100 per night will apply (To cover expenses for keeping the body cool overnight)
- Washing of the body: No charge by Masjid Al-Wali
- Shrouding of the body: No charge by Masjid Al-Wali
- Salat-Al-Janazah: No charge by Masjid Al-Wali
C. Purchasing a grave
- If you do not own a plot for burial and wish to purchase a plot, please let us know. Plots at Marlboro Muslim Memorial are available for $500 each.
- Prices at other cemeteries may differ, please let the Masjid know of the cemetery of your choice and we will get the updated pricing.
D. Opening and Closing of the grave
- Opening and Closing charges at Marlboro Muslim Memorial are $1000.
- Burials can can take place only while there is sufficient daylight, no burials can take place in the dark.
- In Summer the burial must be completed before 4:00 PM, even though it gets dark much later.
- After 4:00 PM, cemetery will charge $300 extra as overtime.
- Opening and Closing in other cemeteries may differ. Charges may also vary based on the time of the day and for weekends and holidays.
(6 ft long casket)
You may or may not need to pay for all the above services. Assuming you have to pay for all of the above, the total cost will not exceed $3000. (If you select the funeral home approved by the Masjid and select Marlboro Muslim Memorial for the burial and burial is completed before 4:00 PM)
(2 ft long casket)
If a child has deceased and the body can fit in a 24 inch long casket the total cost is much lower.
Funeral Home charges will be $700. The cost of the grave as well as opening & closing of the grave will be $500. Overnight storage $150 (If needed). The total cost will not exceed $1350. (If you select the funeral home approved by the Masjid and select Marlboro Muslim Memorial for the burial and burial is completed before 4:00 PM)